Interesting how the one place we associate with up-to-the-minute information is the least trusted. While what some would call ‘old school’ media –Radio! –consistently earns people’s trust.
Among several studies looking at media trustworthiness I was fascinated by this European study. (Trust in Media, 2017 by EBU)/ Some highlights:
- 64% of countries surveyed find radio the most trusted
- 59% of citizens in the EU trust radio
- Social networks are the least trusted (except in eastern Europe)
- In 12 out of 33 countries 64% of citizens mistrust the Internet
Check these snapshots. The Internet is seeing red!
It gets worse on networks we sign up to –if only to connect with those whom we assume are trustworthy.
Which begs the questions.
- How did we get here?
- Or better still, why have we – who often comprise the ‘sources’ of news on social networks –misused the resource?