Computer and technology teacher at Benjamin Franklin High School in Arizona. Former communications strategist, consultant, business & technology writer, broadcaster and podcaster. Back in the day I was creative director at O&M advertising. More on my website.
When I began blogging, way back in May 2004, communication was being disrupted; media was under siege. I was convinced that the hoi polloi –Greek for that derisive term the masses– would rearrange our molecules, so to speak. Radical change is always driven by those on the edges. Johannes Gutenberg was not a printer, but a goldsmith. He printed the Bible, and disrupted how knowledge was shared. Steve Jobs didn’t have an engineering degree. You get the idea.
‘Hoipolloi Report’ is my sandbox. This is where I take notes of media and marketing shifts that empower –and are enlarged by– ‘people like us.’ Today we the hoi polloi certainly tell better stories. Noisy, funny, and unpredictable we speak our mind, we talk back. It’s also my journal, as blogs were intended to be.
My Book “Chat Republic, How Social Media Drives Us To Be Human 1.0 in a Web 2.0 World.” (2013). It was inspired by topics I’ve written about in my tech columns for two magazines, one in Sri Lanka and the other in the US. I still write about technology, education, marketing, and media here on Medium.
- Radio 201 – Podcasts at Benjamin Franklin High School
- -> Spotify | Google Podcasts | Apple Podcasts | AnchorFM
- Light Bulb Moments – Apple Podcasts. Podcasts at ASU, 1989
- Tech & Current Affairs Columnist for LMD magazine since 1994
- Tech columnist for IABC’s Communication World magazine
- Past Contributor to Valley PR Blog
- Past Contributor to Create Magazine
- Edited a book for Superbrands
- ‘Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead.’ Teacher Workshop, Sri Lanka, 2015
- ‘Passport To Digital Citizenship’ Sri Lanka, 2010
- Social Media for Journalists Sri Lanka, 2010
- ‘Think Digital, Act Analog’ US, 2008
- ‘Build Your ‘Social Media Resume’ US, 2008
- Adjunct faculty, Chandler-Gilbert Community College.
- Conducted overseas workshop on EdTech & S.T.E.M. Listen – KJZZ
- Technology Column for Communication World won a Maggie award
- Radio show co-host, Your Triple Bottom Line. Listen
- This Blog ranked in 2008 by Social Media Today