I am a computer and technology teacher at Benjamin Franklin High School in Arizona. I am also an adjunct faculty member at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. Prior to teaching I was a communications strategist, consultant, business & technology writer, broadcaster and podcaster. Prior to that, a creative director at O&M. Prior to that, a banker. More on my website.
When I began blogging, way back in May 2004, communication was being disrupted; media was under siege. I was convinced that the hoi polloi –Greek for that derisive term the masses– were going to rearrange our molecules, so to speak. Radical change always arrives from those on the edges. After all, Johannes Gutenberg was not a printer, but a goldsmith, but he printed the Bible, and disrupted how knowledge was shared. You get the idea.
‘Hoipolloi Report’ is my sandbox. This is where I take notes of media and marketing shifts that empower –and are enlarged by– ‘people like us.’ Today we the hoi polloi certainly tell better stories. Noisy, funny, and unpredictable we speak our mind, we talk back. It’s also my journal, as blogs were intended to be.
My Book “Chat Republic, How Social Media Drives Us To Be Human 1.0 in a Web 2.0 World.” (2013)
The book was inspired by topics I’ve written about in my tech columns for two magazines –listed below. These are sectors I am still passionate about: Technology, Education, Marketing, and Media.
- Tech & Current Affairs Columnist for LMD magazine since 1994
- Tech columnist for Communication World magazine
- Past Contributor to ValleyPRBlog.com
- Past Contributor to Create Magazine
- Edited a book for Superbrands
- Workshop: ‘Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead.’ Teacher Workshop, Sri Lanka, 2015
- Webinars: Passport To Digital Citizenship Sri Lanka, 2010
- Workshop: Social Media for Journalists Sri Lanka, 2010
- Workshop: ‘Think Digital, Act Analog’ US, 2008
- Workshop: ‘Build Your ‘Social Media Resume’ US, 2008
- Workshop host on EdTech, S.T.E.M, and Emerging Media. Listen
- Technology Column for Communication World won a Maggie award
- Radio show co-host, Your Triple Bottom Line
- This Blog ranked in 2008 by Social Media Today