No one would have predicted these events after a police officer held down his knee for nearly nine minutes on a man’s neck.
- Johnson and Johnson announced the company will stop producing skin-lightening products sold overseas. The products promise fairer, beautiful skin.
- The Quaker Oats company said it would rename its Aunt Jemima line of syrups and pancake mixes given the name’s association with racial stereotypes. The name originated in 1889. Quaker is a subsidiary of PepsiCo.
- Statues of Fr. Junipero Serra a Catholic missionary, Francis Scott Key who wrote the lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner would be toppled in San Francisco by protesters.
- Spotify earned the wrath of listeners when it inserted an “eight-minute and 46-second track of silence” across selected playlists and podcasts to show empathy with the length of George Floyd.
- Teens on TikTok organized to make sure President Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma was poorly attended.