Did you feel like you needed to take a shower after watching the recent debates? Or do you feel like you don’t want to mention the word ‘election’ at the dinner table for fear of dredging up unsavory topics?
‘Adults behaving badly’ might sum up what we have been witnessing these past few months.
I’ve tried to explain to young people who ask, that:
- This is not how most grown-ups behave – you know, hurling around ugly epithets; using vulgarities, slurs…
- Political campaigns are unfortunate war games people play, hence ‘battleground’ states, attack strategies.
- In the 4-year gaps between the these ugly wars, try to not do as they do.
- The phrase ‘anyone can become president’ is something we are no longer proud of.
- Though Gallup holds that 75% of Americans identify with a Christian religion (Pew Research says 70.6%) there is nothing very Christian about this process
Aren’t you waiting for this spectacle to be over?