Talk about mixed signals!
I came across two SMS stories that left me feeling that we are still getting our minds and lives around the potential of one-to-one communication and what social media has delivered.
- The first was about how SMS is being used as an early warning system in Bangladesh. to alert people to possible floods.
- The second was how someone used SMS in Uganda to perpetrate a hoax swine flu warning. It appeared to come from the health ministry.
- Then there’s the story of a blogger issuing death threats. OK, he’s also an Internet talk show host.
- And this one about radio talk show host Michael Savage threatening to publish names and photos of people at Media Matters.
- But in order to bookend this with good use of social media, check out how a student, going by the audacious Twitter handle of TehranBureau, is using it to keep the world updated with events going on there.